Monday, June 9, 2008

Buttermilk Cookies

Buttermilk Cookies

Buttermilk Cookies

I love breakfast. Most days I eat oatmeal, but lately i've channeled my misplaced culinary energy into different breakfast options: whole wheat buttermilk pancakes, cheese omelets with sriracha, yogurt with white peaches and granola, toasted local breads with coffee, and several crepe recipes with jam.

What do these cookies have to do with breakfast? Very little. At the moment, any baking I do is motivated by the contents of my refrigerator. I had some leftover buttermilk and butter, so I plugged "buttermilk cookies" into epicurious and found this recipe.

I didn't care for the buttermilk cookies from America's Best Lost Recipes. These were better- moist and cakey with slightly crunchy edges. They're somewhat like Italian love knots, but less crumbly. I like them with tea.

I added a few drops of lemon extract in lieu of lemon zest. I would have preferred a more pronounced lemon flavor, so next time I may use zest and a lemon glaze.

Buttermilk Cookies
from Gourmet

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
For glaze
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Make cookies:
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter 2 large baking sheets.
Whisk together flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth.
Drop level tablespoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are puffed and edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer cookies to racks.

Glaze cookies:
Whisk together all glaze ingredients and brush onto tops of warm cookies.
Let stand until cookies are completely cooled and glaze is set.
Cookies are best the day they're made but can be frozen, wrapped well, up to 1 month.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

These are my favorite! I made the recipe as soon as it came out in Gourmet in January and seeing your post reminds me I need to make them again! I doubled the lemon zest when I made them and they were perfect. Yours look great!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

it doesn't matter, i could have these with my breakfast too!

Dana said...

Breakfast is my favorite meal too. Have you ever been to the Simply Breakfast blog? Love it. (These look great, btw...and I could easily eat them for breakfast...hehe)