Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pear and Walnut Muffins and Coffee Cake

I had mixed success with last week's baking.

Pear Walnut Muffins

Pear Walnut Muffins

This recipe for pear and walnut muffins was a hit at work, but i'm not sure i'll make it again. It was more complicated than most quickbread recipes. While whipping cream, separating eggs, and toasting walnuts, I couldn't help thinking that I like muffins to be a quick and not-too-messy project.

The muffins were rather rich for breakfast, but they'd be nice for tea. The tender white cakes are studded with crunchy walnuts and big chunks of canned pear. Whipped cream, orange zest, and ginger give them a delicate flavor.

Coffee Cake

Coffee Cake

I also tried the cinnamon swirl buttermilk pound cake from Tish Boyle's The Cake Book, which ripped horribly during unmolding (though I greased and floured the pan). It's not the first time i've had trouble unmolding filled coffee cakes. I'm not sure if I need to allow more cooling time or invest in a non-stick pan. It was also well received, but I found the texture tough and the flavor plain.

This week i'm trying a Rhode Island chunky pear pie and some cookies. I have high hopes for them! I'm hoping I have time to go through some of my Paris photos too. That project has been on the back burner for too long.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I agree, muffins should be fairly quick to make, but those sound really good and a nice change from cupcakes if you don't want something that sweet. The tops are pretty!

Snooky doodle said...

the muffins look amazing. I like the cake too . I love cinnamon